The Urology Outpatient Clinic was established in response to the demand for timely, quality office-based urological procedures that can be difficult to access in public hospitals. The clinic is staffed by experienced, urologically trained personnel including Doctor Katelaris and urology nurse, Libby King. The facility is equipped with the most modern technology for office-based procedures and allows patients to avoid long waiting lists in public hospitals or private hospital fees. Outpatient procedures also offer an alternative to general anaesthesia.
The procedures performed at the outpatient clinic include:
- Urodynamic studies: Urodynamic evaluation of both male and female urinary incontinence and bladder dysfunction is often critical to determining the best means of management. It is an essential investigation prior to prostate surgery.
- Transrectal ultrasound and biopsy: Transrectal ultrasound with biopsy is an investigation that may be recommended to men with abnormal PSA profiles, abnormal rectal examination or both. This procedure is performed utilising a local anaesthetic and is a cost effective, time efficient alternative to an in-patient procedure.
- Intravesical chemotherapy for superficial bladder cancer.
- Flexible cystoscopy: State of the art flexible cystourethroscopy is now available using local anaesthesia in an outpatient setting. This may be suitable for screening the bladder in cases of haematuria and allows patients to avoid the cost and time associated with a hospital admission.
- Urethral dilatation: Outpatient local anaesthetic urethral dilatation is available for management of certain urethral strictures.
- No-scalpel vasectomy utilising the Li technique: for patients who wish to undergo vasectomy outside of hospital, the same procedure can be performed in the office.
Most of the above procedures utilise single-use disposable equipment. The urology clinic strictly adheres to sterilisation techniques approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.
Medicare rebates are applicable for the above procedures.